Labels

Saturday, February 8, 2020

THE TURNING by Floria Sigismondi

Kate, a young teacher, is hired to teach the little Flora at her death parents’ mansion. But soon Kate discovers that Flora’s brother, Miles, is a very disturbing teenager and there are strange things happening inside and around the house.

Here we have another movie adaptation of Henry James’ novel “The Turn of the Screw”. The most famous ones are THE NIGHTCOMERS, starring Marlon Brando, and THE INNOCENTS, starring Deborah Kerr, for many people the best version of the story. I confess I didn’t saw any of these movies and I didn’t read the novel. So, I’m almost a virgin regarding the story.

The story, that reminded me of the superior THE OTHERS, is interesting and director Floria Sigismondi creates a creepy atmosphere and manages to give us one or two scares. Unfortunately, as the movie goes one, things became more and more confuse and by the end I confess I didn’t understand what was going on. Sometimes that can be a very positive thing, but not in this case. I got the idea (is this real or not) but it doesn’t work well in the context of the movie.

Regarding the cast, as Kate, Mackenzie Davis gives a better performance than the movie deserves. Finn Wolfhard and Brooklynn Prince are convincing as the orphans and Barbara Marten is a scary governess. 

I love horror movies, but not this one. They should have done better, much better. A very disappointing genre movie.

My Rate: 2 (from 1 to 10)


No comments:

Post a Comment